I am a Partner in the property dispute resolution team.
I originally qualified as a software engineer specialising in large-scale database systems and data mining, and re-qualified as a solicitor in 2010.
I am a fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and an Accredited Mediator.
My specific experience
I advise on a variety of contentious property issues, such as disputed boundaries, rights of way, restrictive covenants, landlord and tenant matters and leasehold enfranchisement cases. I am particularly known for advising on disputes under the Party Wall etc. Act 1996 and in disputes arising from basement extensions in London and the South-East.
I am the author of “Practical Party Walls” and regularly blog on party walls and basement extensions.
My recent cases
Recent cases that I have advised on include:
• Several high-profile basement collapse cases in Belgravia and West London;
• a basement development in Belgravia which has seen 5 applications for emergency injunctions, 4 statutory party wall appeals and 2 professional negligence claims before the excavation had even started.
• Appeals to the Court of Appeal which changed the law on how surveyors can make party wall awards
• An Appeal to the Court of Appeal on the meaning of “Unnecessary Inconvenience” in the Party Wall Act
• A statutory appeal under the Party Wall Act on the meaning of “Special foundations” in the Party Wall Act
My involvement with the community and associations
I am frequently invited to speak to professional groups about the Party Wall Act, including the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, the Pyramus and Thisbe Club and the Faculty of Party Wall Surveyors. I am also a governor of Woking College.
Something you may not know
I am a keen cook and have trained at Le Cordon Bleu. My Mexican nights are legendary.
- It’s knot good news – an important update on liability relating to damage caused by Japanese Knotweed
- Service of Party Wall Notices and Awards over Easter
- Industry experts gather for Basement Extensions Conference 2016
- Basement Extensions | Compensation for Trespassing Underpinning
- Basement Extensions | Removing Trespassing Underpinning
- Party Wall Notices must come before an Award…or do they?